Thursday, March 29, 2012

Empress of France


So it is mid 2009 and I am starting to get heavily involved now – if not obsessed!! I post on various forums and all say basically the same thing. Here is an actual posting:

William Henry Parker - England to Canada abt 1920-25
Posting Date: July 15, 2009
Need help finding my grandparent's family information. This is what I do know but nothing beyond:

William Henry Parker was born in Sheffield, England. He served 4 and half years in France and Belgium during the 1914-1918 war in the British Expedition Forces (B.E.F.) as a Driver. Was in the R.H. (Royal Horseman) and the R.F.A. (Royal Field Artillery) units. He enlisted in Aug 1914 and was discharged in Feb 1919. During his war years, he met Emma Mae Goodman and they married in 1917. After his discharge they immigrated to Canada with one son, Harry who was born in 1919.

Immigrated sometime around 1920-1925.

I know of the family from this point on but nothing of him or her while in England, or what ship they were on or anything like that

*** all of the above facts I found here in Canada through obit, legion app., funeral home document... BUT I have hit a brick wall (no credit card for all these dang pay search sites - they all need paypal!) Anyways, what I really am trying to find is his parent's names and any siblings and anything else interesting about him during the war like what missions, etc. I don't even have a picture of him :o(

HELP, anyone??

I receive a reply back that gave me this information:

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935
about William Henry Parker
Name: William Henry Parker
Gender: Male
Age: 28
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Birth Country: England
Date of Arrival: 23 Dec 1920
Vessel: Empress of France
Port of Arrival: St John, New Brunswick
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Roll: T-14841

traveled w/ Emma age 24 yrs and Harry 1 yr
destination was Chatham,Ont.
occupation -farm labouer
intended occup in Canada- farm work

I was thrilled to know the date and ship name. So I search out info and photos for the ship for my collection.




The Empress of France



Months go by without any new leads, and then someone sends me the actual photo copy of the passenger sheet for Grandpa, and I’ll be – if the first information giver omitted he was on his way to Chatham Ont to JOIN HIS BROTHER HARRY PARKER!!! A brother!!! Here!! Wonderful!!! This should be easy. Right?

1 comment:

Andrew Simpson said...

A wonderful story which just shows what we can unearth about our families